Friday, September 20, 2013

Leave No Question Unanswered

After running the Chicago Half a few weeks back, I stumbled across a bunch of fun new blogs to read.  One of which, written by Emmers712, featured a post with the following questions.

Being that I'm never one to leave questions unanswered, I thought it might be fun to use this as a post myself.  So, here goes nothing!


1. Who is your running shoe twin?
Blech - no one wants to admit being my twin and I can't blame them.  I pronate really badly and wouldn't wish that on anyone.  Not to mention, it makes shoes hella more expensive!  (When was the last time I used hella?  God, I feel like I'm in junior high again).  Anyway, I recently graduated down from Saucony Hurricanes (expensive) to Saucony Guides (slightly less expensive), so at least that's a plus.  Funny enough, though, my sister and I have very similar feet - so I guess she is my sort of twin.  Must be genetics, right?  The running store suggested I try her preferred style, Mizunos, but they weren't quite my style.  So, I've stuck with my Guides, and recently bought my second pair:




2. When do you pause your watch on a run?
I never pause my watch.  I suppose technically if I stop at a water fountain or porta-pot, I could consider it but... whatever happens on a training run is what will likely happen on course, so why tinker?  I don't want to start cutting out things that happen mid run, all that does is pump me up for a better finish time that I might not be able to replicate on race day, thus encouraging me to beat myself up more for not hitting some imaginary gold standard.

3. What is worse, being called a jogger or hearing someone call a 5K a "marathon"?
I'm not a super fast runner, so calling me a jogger is technically kind of accurate.  However, it drives me nuts that people call 5Ks "marathons".  Seriously!  With the ever growing popularity of running, and all the races happening on any given weekend, I'm clueless as to how people DON'T know the difference by now.  All I can figure is some people live with their head in the sand.





4. What is your preferred running shorts inseam length?
If you read my running fashion post, you'd known the answer to this trick question.  (Pssst - it's capri length).

5. Spitting when you run - gross or necessary or neither?
Totally gross, and for me, totally unnecessary.  And if you're the kind of person who HAS to spit for whatever nasty reason, make sure you watch where you're spitting.  Move off course and out of the way of others.  There is absolutely NO reason to spit on anyone on course.  Let's add spilling water/sports drink to that category, too.  Seriously!  Some runners need some basic etiquette lessons.




6. What is more exciting, randomly seeing a friend while running or hitting a goal pace/workout?
Well, I'm going to guess I won't randomly see a friend while running since I've either planned to run that day with my friends (or they've told me they want to spectate), or they're not running that day (or they have no desire to spectate).  I'm also highly competitive with myself.  So, let's just say hitting a goal pace or workout blows my hair back - both literally and figuratively.

7. What has been your worst running injury?
Oh god, knock on wood.  The worst on course injury was I missed seeing a pot hole on a downhill stretch to the finish line and literally belly flopped on the pavement when I stepped in it.  I fell so hard I ripped a 3-5" hole in my compression tights, and ended up having to finish the final 0.25 mile stretch with blood gushing down my knee to my ankle.  I think the first aid tent's exact quote was "well, I'm just going to leave that flap of skin on there for now... ". 

8. What is your perfect running temp?
I'm from Minnesota.  My idea of cold is much different than yours, and I've run in some very interesting conditions.  That being said, I prefer to run in the 50/60 range, but as long as the humidity is low even 70 isn't the end of the world.

9. Do you follow a running plan or make your own?
I break all the rules.  (That's Badassish for "I'm not the most dedicated runner out there and usually just hope whatever combination of base miles and long runs I do gets me across the finish line.")




10. Preference - treadmill, road, groomed trail, or technical trail?
Gah!  So NOT a treadmill runner.  I have a REALLY hard time running straight lines.  Also, given my answer to #7 above, you can tell I'm kind of a klutz.  So, obviously, road running is my thing.


So, now it's your turn!  Care to answer?


1. Who is your running shoe twin?
2. When do you pause your watch on a run?
3. What is worse, being called a jogger or hearing someone call a 5K a "marathon"?
4. What is your preferred running shorts inseam length?
5. Spitting when you run - gross or necessary or neither?
6. What is more exciting, randomly seeing a friend while running or hitting a goal pace/workout?
7. What has been your worst running injury?
8. What is your perfect running temp?
9. Do you follow a running plan or make your own?
10. Preference - treadmill, road, groomed trail, or technical trail?

2 comments:

  1. YAY!!! Thanks for the shout-out!!! I love reading these quizzes on everyone's blogs - it's always so interesting to hear what the responses are! And I think you and I have very, VERY similar senses of humor as well as overall perspectives on running and in life (sorry if that is too profound for a Friday morning, LOL).

    I am so sorry to hear about that pothole injury. It sounds awful. Hopefully it healed quickly. Great job on pushing through that final 0.25 mile! (If it were me, I would have been in tears all the way to the end.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and agreed re: humor. Besides, if you take life too seriously... what's the point?!

      Meh, don't worry about the injury - the fall was a couple years ago. I've since re-injured the same knee in a biking accident, too (ugh, the joys of learning how to use your clip in bike shoes). Sometimes that knee likes to remind me of said injuries after long weeks of training, but 99% of the time it's not an issue. Besides, makes for good story telling, and the look on people's faces when I was gushing blood in the last mile was pretty funny. It made me feel like a superhero athlete at the finish line, coming in like that.

      Delete