Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad
With Parmesan Vinaigrette and Marcona Almonds
- 2-3 cups raw Brussels sprouts, washed and shredded (I used a food processor)
- 1-2 stems raw kale, washed, de-stemmed and shredded
- 2-3 ounces of marcona almonds (I substituted macadamias since I was unable to find marcona almonds at my local grocery and didn't have time to shop further away)
- 3 tbsps. oil
- 2 tbsps. white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsps. dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsps. finely diced garlic
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Powdered or finely shredded parmesan, to taste
1. Combine shredded Brussels sprouts and kale. Mix ratio should be about 70% Brussels sprouts to 30% kale, but obviously - it's not science.
2. Whisk oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic and pepper in a small bowl. Dump over greens mixture and toss until evenly coated. (Feel free to substitute your favorite vinaigrette dressing here instead).
3. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the greens, reserving a few tbsps. for later. Toss salad again until the cheese is evenly distributed. (I just eyeballed the amount of cheese, so use your best guess).
4. Plate the greens. Top with almonds. Finish salad with reserved parmesan.
Serves 2. This recipe makes very large salads. I actually ended up saving leftovers (without nuts included) overnight in the fridge, taking them to lunch the next day. Even with the dressing already added, the salad still stayed crisp and fresh.