Monday, August 18, 2014

Screwing My Head on Straight

OK, it's officially been 6 months since I burned myself out on running (training) for the Little Rock Marathon.  For the longest time, I have been using that as a justification for dialing back on my running and taking a break.

Reality check time.  Little Rock was a long f-ing time ago.

To be honest, it wasn't just Little Rock that encouraged me to dial back my training as of late, though.  As you know, I have been pregnant or have been hoping to get pregnant ever since late March/early April, and that has continuously kept me in a "hold off on training for big things" mode.

Of course, along with those reduced training hours, I am now carrying an extra 10 pounds (more or less) that I am not proud of.  Yes, I gained them initially due to different reasons.  But my reduction in gym time hasn't exactly helped me get rid of them.  And I have made no progress in my effort to get them back off. 

I can't let that be anymore.

I have no excuses for not getting back into a regular running schedule again.  Or, really, a regular workout schedule in general. 

I say "workout schedule in general" because this because this week I realized something...

What my workout regime looks like in my head:

     Monday - run 3-6 miles
     Tuesday - teach TBC
     Wednesday - run or swim (or both)
     Thursday - teach TBC
     Friday - rest
     Saturday - race/bike ride/fun weekend active activity
     Sunday - rest

And what it looks like in reality:

     Monday - run 4 miles or rest (mostly rest)
     Tuesday - teach TBC
     Wednesday - swim or happy hour (mostly happy hour)
     Thursday - teach TBC
     Friday - rest
     Saturday - race/bike ride/fun weekend active activity
     Sunday - rest

Yeah, there's a lot of rest and happy hour in there that shouldn't be.  I don't think my head is screwed on straight.

Plus, I'm *****spoiler alert***** still not pregnant again, so I don't really have any reason not to be working out.  Or any reason to not shoot for a new long distance race goal.

My resolution?  Time to start a dedicated training program again.  For what, I've yet to determine (because I think I've got a small case of plantar's fasciitiis that needs attention, and I'm not sure if I can manage half marathon distances this fall with that).  But starting this week, it's time to get back into a regular running program.

Are you with me?  Let's do it!

2 comments:

  1. Right there with you, cuz! 10 mile here we come?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I'm doing my first night on a training program tonight. We'll see how the next two weeks treat my feet and then I'll decide. :-)

      Delete