Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Almost Isn't 100%, Subway

A few months back, Subway was all over the news for putting azodicarbonamide in their bread.

Don't know what that is?  Azodicarbonamide is approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use as a bleaching agent and dough conditioner. It can be found in a wide variety products, including those served at McDonald's and Starbucks and breads sold in supermarkets. The chemical is also used to make plastic items... like yoga mats.

Mmmmm-mmmm!  You know what I like in my bread?  Chemicals used in plastic manufacturing.  Deeeee-lish!





Obviously, when that was announced, I begrudgingly gave up eating Subway.  My one lunchtime favorite that I really didn't feel guilty about eating (I just love veggie subs).

Anyway, according to this article, Subway "says an ingredient dubbed the "yoga mat" chemical will be entirely phased out of its bread by next week."

Hmm.  That sounds like it's almost out. 

Almost isn't 100%.

And how will I know if the Subway I'm at is using the "new" recipe product?  What if they have old inventory that they need to cycle through?  After all, frozen bread dough can be used months after it is produced.

I guess my Subway free diet will continue until I hear more solid news that the chemical is out.

---

Oh, btw, remember the McRib post I did last year?  Go check it out again and read the foot note in the photo about this chemical.  I still can't figure out how Australia, Europe and Singapore are all aware of this nasty chemical and the USA is like "Meh, no big!". 

No comments:

Post a Comment