Monday, December 2, 2013

Black Friday 2013

Welcome back to the real world.

What?  You don't know what I'm talking about?




Come on, most of us just had a 4 day (if not more) weekend.  This is very likely your first day back at it since before the bird. 

And by bird, I mean the Thanksgiving feast.  I sure hope you didn't flip anybody one before you left work last week.  ;-)

If you are one of the unlucky folks who didn't have a 4 day weekend, I'm sorry.  That really sucks.  I hope from the bottom of my heart that you didn't have to work on the new monstrosity that is "Black Thursday"... at least I think that's what they're calling it? 

What BS, having a store open on Thanksgiving day.  What is wrong with us as a society that we: (1) have stores open PERIOD on that day and (2) actually go shopping on that day?  Because let's face it, if stores weren't making money, they wouldn't be open. So obviously, people are out there shopping. 

Ugh.  Disgusting.

I'm also not a big fan of Black Friday, either.  Why follow up a day of family togetherness and thanks with a day of pushing and shoving ... all just to save $50 on a new TV?

American consumerism at it's finest.




So, what DID I do on Black Thursday/Friday?

Well, on Thursday, I did the whole Thanksgiving thing.  We even hosted.  Although I can't take too much credit for the food.  My husband did most of the work there.  And it was fantastic, btw.  He smoked the turkey this year.  I think it was the best one yet.

On Friday, I quietly protested the idea of Black Friday in-store fighting, and shopped from my couch.  While I did buy a few gifts (which I won't disclose here, since many who receive my gifts read this blog), I did also buy a few things for myself. 

What?  It was such a good deal.  Why not?!




And lucky you, they're all fitness related, so I'll do show and tell!

First, I bought some new stuff from Ink-n-Burn.  For those of you who haven't read my previous blogs here or here, you can check out my thoughts on them.  But obviously, I like the stuff if I'm buying again.  Besides, who can resist when they are having a 50%+ off sale?!

I settled on the "wave" T-shirt and matching sleeves (although you know I'm not a huge fan of sleeves, I couldn't resist, you know... matchy matchy).





I also purchased a shirt for my sister, which I won't be posting a photo of here... but she knows something is coming since I asked her for her measurements. 

Good news about Ink-n-Burn, before I switch topics: they're having a Cyber Monday sale today (12/2/2013).  Tons of deep discounts.  Head on over to their site if you want to take advantage of it last second.  Just click here.

Anyway!  In addition to a new workout top, I also splurged on some new bottoms.  And for this one, I did begrudgingly go into a store... but not until Small Business Saturday... and not until after 3pm... and definitely not to a store that had crowds.  Honestly, though, I just don't think this store would attract those kinds of folks anyway.

Yep, I went to Running Room.  (Sorry to my TC Running Co fans).  I started running not quite 4 years ago, and bought my first pair of shoes there.  While I don't shop there exclusively for my running gear, I do shop there enough that I've accrued some award points for my purchases - $10, in fact.  Additionally, American Express offers a $10 discount if you register your card and shop at pre-approved small business retailers on Small Business Saturday - lucky for me, Running Room was on that list.

So, with a $10 store credit in hand, a $10 discount registered to my American Express card, plus the promise of a mystery discount scratch off card for in store purchases, I decided to head off to the store. 

My original plan was just to buy shoes.  That's it.  Nothing else.  And I did...




But ... when I scratched off that 25% off code... I cracked.  I bought a pair of Sugio tights.  I justified them with the thought that I've been looking for a second pair of winter weight tights anyway, and as the model below demonstrates, they had really cool reflective piping on them.




Then I added a pair of windbreaker pants to the pile, too. 

WHAT?!  They were on super clearance.  $40 for a pair that was originally $110.  Come on...

After spending myself silly on new stuff for me, and a few gift items, I decided I needed to be done.  So I threw in the towel and went home to eat more leftover Turkey.

MMMMM... smokey!

And that's the story of my holiday shopping weekend.  Maybe in a few weeks I'll have a few new product reviews for you.  Until then... what did you by over the holiday sales weekend?!

No comments:

Post a Comment