Monday, December 16, 2013

Winter Workouts

I never thought I could do it.

But I did.

This weekend I ran 10 miles on a treadmill.




It's amazing how easy 10 miles on a treadmill feels after having done 14 miles on the hamster wheel track the weekend before.  In fact, it was like a cake walk on that treadmill!  (Let's just not talk about the fact that I kept over striding the speed of the belt and took my fair share of heart rate sensor bars to the gut).

I'm pretty proud of myself for just getting on the machine and doing it.  Lately, with the winter weather keeping temps in my area barely hovering above 0 degrees (most days not even above 0, boo!!), I'm struggling with my workout mojo. 

Well, that and I am just coming off of having a pretty bad cold.

I find that if I tentatively schedule out my week of workouts on Sunday night, and hold myself to them throughout the week, I am far more likely to actually get in good workouts during crappy weather. 

My schedule for the last couple of weeks has been something like this:

Monday - run 6 miles tempo
Tuesday - teach TBC
Wednesday - run 6-8 miles easy
Thursday - run 2-4 miles speed, attend TBC (with modified cardio segments)
Friday - REST
Saturday - Long run
Sunday - REST

So - I'm curious.  What are YOUR winter workout strategies to keep yourself active?  Comment in the notes below.

No comments:

Post a Comment