Friday, July 12, 2013

Invest In Yourself

So, I read this.

In case you don't want to read the article, the short story is that a fitness company chose a "Biggest Loser" winner Tara Costa as their rep, and now that she's gained back some weight, they're suing her for breach of contract (essentially).

And of course, I totally became curious to see if the fitness company had a right to be upset.  I decided to do some Googling.

Show & tell time!  Let's look at some pictures.


      The official pre/post photos for marketing:




      The photo I could find that most accurately seems to portray her current body type:




Well, that's too bad.  It does appear Tara Costa has gained quite a bit of weight since her "after" photo from Biggest Loser's marketing group.  Not that she's overly fat or anything, but honestly speaking... she's not what she was when she signed her contract with the fitness company.  And selling fitness products is about presenting an image, unfortunately. 

Yes, I'm sad that she couldn't maintain the weight loss.  But is her weight gain really so shocking?  Someone who lost 150+/- pounds over the course of ... what, 1-2 months maybe... can't keep it off. 

Gee, I can't imagine why.

Yanking someone out of their daily life, throwing them into a gym for 6+ hours a day, totally controlling their diet for them, and creating motivation for them... then throwing them back into their daily life, with no additional coaching, and expecting them to keep up the change.  I just can't figure out why that isn't maintainable. 

I mean, figuring out how to work out 6+ hours a day, creating your own diet and motivation, plus a work life, plus a family life, plus personal time, plus sleep... nooooo problem.  (*Insert sarcastic eye roll*)

I really hate all the weight loss ideas we have in the US.  They're all the same!  To me, the whole Biggest Loser process isn't much different than... say...

  


Yeah, you might get a result with these "diets".  Or you might not.  But one way or another, the true results of your "diet" won't take hold if you can't incorporate it into your daily lifestyle permanently.

And don't even try to argue with me that you are willing to do the Hollywood miracle diet on an every day basis.  Because, first, that would actually be called Slim Fast.  And, second, I don't know a single person who honestly enjoys that stuff and feels satisfied at the end of ONE day on it, let alone a lifetime.




Healthy living is about healthy choices ... all the time.  Fruits.  Veggies.  Portion control.  Working out.  Skipping the second helping, or the extra dessert.  Making small changes that add up to big results.

I know!  It's hard work!!  But it's the best investment you can make - because it's 100% part of YOU.

What are you doing to invest in yourself?  I want to hear - share with me below!

No comments:

Post a Comment