Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Getting Back Into the Swing ...

Well, it only took me 12+ months post baby, but I'm finally settling back into a fitness routine.  Granted, my routine isn't exactly what it was pre pregnancy, but then again ... neither is my body at this point (nor will it ever likely be again).  And quite honestly, I'm ok with that.

I didn't go into motherhood expecting that everything would be the same post baby.  I knew things would change.  Of course I didn't know exactly how they would change, or to what extent, but I knew that my 15+ races a year and 2-3 times weekly 2-a-day workouts would likely be over.

So what is my current routine now that I'm a mom? 

Well, as much as I hate to admit it ... morning workouts.




Twice a week I wake up at 5 am to hit a strength training class at my gym.  And I know it is working because I've more than tripled my lift capacity in the last 2 months. I mean ... not to brag or anything, but I'm using two 11 lb plates on each side of my bar for the extended squat set ... plus I upped to another 2.5 lbs per side at my last class (11 lb plate x 2 per side + 2.5 lb plate = 24.5 lbs per side x 2 sides + 7.5 lb bar = 56.5 lbs.) 

And I only almost dropped the bar on my head once.




LOL!

Aside from my two 5 am wake up calls per week, I am officially back into teaching one night a week via a local community education program.  My first class teaching again is actually tonight, and I'm pretty excited for it, especially since I got a great headcount on a first time offering.  So, wish me luck on that!

In addition to lifting and teaching, I am WAY behind in my swim challenge, and of course I cannot admit defeat on that.  That means now I'm holding myself SUPER accountable to a minimum of twice weekly swims of 2500+ meters each.  If I'm lucky, I can squeeze a swim like that in over a work lunch ... but I'm willing to bet money I will be dedicating some serious swim sessions later this fall and winter.

Beyond that, you may notice I didn't mention much about running.  While I do hope to get back into a running schedule of some sort, I've admitted to myself that I'm a mom of a not quite 18 month old, and I only have so much time and energy in one day.  So for now, I'm going to try to get in a run when it works ... and not give myself guilt if it doesn't.

So that's it!  Basically 3 times weekly strength, 3 times weekly cardio, and whatever else might fit in as time allows.

Exciting, huh?!  (*sarcasam*)

---

Tell me, what's your current workout routine that works for you?  Discuss below!


No comments:

Post a Comment