Friday, May 16, 2014

Read It & Weep! 2

Back in January, as you might remember, I was published in the local paper.

Apparently I did good enough to be asked back, and they published me again!  Admittedly, I'm a little late in posting this since I was published in late April but... I figure better late than never.

Enjoy!

-----

Run into a Healthy You


Have you ever looked in the mirror and said – there’s no way I could be a runner? I know this girl did every day:


 
 

 Can you believe this is the same girl just three years later?





Here’s a fun fact – “that girl” is me! And it could be you, too!

So, how did I do it? Well, I suppose like most life changes, mine started with a huge push.

In 2009, I weighed in at 240 lbs and was soon to turn 30 years old. Facing some major life milestones, reality started to sink in: my father developed type two diabetes in his late 30's after years of being overweight himself, and I was following in his footsteps. Although I had gone to the gym on occasion, and tried to “eat healthy”, I had never really committed myself to a healthy lifestyle, and often found myself making excuses for why I did/ate what I did. With my 30th birthday around the corner, I decided to change that, and made a goal to run my first ever 5K.

Using a basic “Couch to 5K” program (which you can easily find by searching the internet), I began my training. After that, two or three times a week you could find me circling the free track at the Chaska Community Center. Each run, I made small goals for myself. My initial goal of run 1 lap without stopping eventually turned into run 2 laps without stopping, and then three. In a matter of a few weeks, I was running a mile straight, and it felt great!

To make things more fun, I utilized the free tracking program the Community Center offered as well. After each visit to the track, I would fill out a slip noting my mileage for the day, and each week or so I’d visit the tally board to see how I was doing. (If you are interested in using this free service: the tally board is located by the water fountain on the track, and yellow log slips are on the glass cabinet near the front desk of the community center).

Eventually, after training for some time, I finally got up the courage to run my first 5K. And I finished! So what if it was a finish time of over 36 minutes when others could do it in 25 or less. I did it. I couldn't believe it.

Feeling happy that I could do it, I just kept running. From spring 2010 to the following fall, I ran a total of 5 races, all at a 5K distance. Eventually, I started working on healthier eating along with my running. When one full year had past, I decided to re-run the course of my first ever 5K – 15 pounds lighter, and minutes faster as well.

By the following spring, now almost two years into running, I was down to 185. I had trimmed my 5K pace from 36 minutes to about 30-31 minutes, and I was starting to have serious fun with it.

And that takes me to today. From 2010 through 2014, I have run close to 40 races. With small steps, little by little, I became a faster 5K runner. Then a duathlon competitor. Then a faster half marathon runner. And finally, I worked up my courage to try a marathon. And I did it all by starting at 240 pounds and committing to a “Couch to 5K” program.

So, now that you’ve read my story, I have one question for you. The Run Chaska 5K is just around the corner. Why haven’t you started your “Couch to 5K” program yet?

Natalie Cobb, Group Fitness Instructor, invites you to cross train for your 5K with her! Total Body Conditioning at the Chaska Community Center takes place every Tuesday evening at 5:30pm. Drop in class is $5.25 / $4.25 (members).

No comments:

Post a Comment