Friday, March 28, 2014

Oh, SELF Magazine

Did you hear the latest one about SELF Magazine?

Ugh, it's actually kind of disgusting.

So, apparently SELF Magazine, which touts itself as "an American magazine for women that specializes in health, fitness, nutrition, beauty and happiness" recently published this blurb:





OK, OK.  Yeah, the tutu trend might be a tad overdone.  I'll admit I wore one two years ago, and now it is getting to the point where it's a bit tired (aside from when people wear them at races that are specifically known for being costumed events).  So you might look at the above and think - so what - right?

Here's where the problem comes in.  Yeah, these two ladies are wearing tutus at a non-themed race (the 2013 LA marathon).  But, before SELF started ripping these ladies a new one, they could have spent 5 seconds to look up their bib numbers and find out who the people were in the photo, or get their back story before hand.  They didn't.  And it bit them in the ass - HARD.

Want to know why the girls were wearing tutus?

One of them was doing her a marathon during her mid point of chemo for fighting brain cancer.

Yep.

Before I can even touch on the cancer piece, I have to say I'm disgusted that SELF would take a photo of someone they know nothing about and just start ripping on them for being healthy, fit and happy (what their magazine stands for). 

Then, of all people out there, those who work in a fitness magazine should know WAAAAYYY better.  It's no secret that many times runners wearing tutus are tied to cancer specific charities.  For example, there are runs that are specifically set up as "tutus for tatas", and they benefit breast cancer.

Ugh.  I'm just annoyed.

I'm not going to spend more time discussing this other than to say one thing: although I think the tutu is overdone and there are many other ways to dress unique while running, I would never judge someone for running in a tutu.  As long as it makes them have a good time while working out, who cares?!  With the obesity rate we're facing in this country, anything that gets people excited about working out is good in my book.

Besides, who am I to judge?  I just taught my last aerobics class dressed like a skeleton and wearing a iridescent silver sparkly headband.

1 comment: