Monday, July 14, 2014

CSA Hooray! Week 2

A few weeks ago, a friend from the gym reached out to me ... for something totally unexpected.  It turned out that she was going on a multi-week road trip with her family, and needed someone to dump her 1/2 share CSA on while she was gone.

Say what?  Fresh grown produce? 

Of course I'm down!

And so, on Friday 6/27, I received my first bundle.  It was delicious!  Which meant I was pretty excited to get my second share - that actually came a day early given the July 4th holiday.  Double win!

The share for 7/3 was... drum roll please...


 


In case you're wondering, that is an assortment of: Romaine Lettuces, Pac Choi, Broccoli, Radishes, Kohlrabi, Summer Squash (Pattypan, Zephyr, or Zukes), Red Scallions and/or Green Scallions, Collard Greens, Basil, Culinary Sage, and Spinach.

Ok, ok.  Let's back track a second.  Like I said last time, above is a photo of a FULL SHARE of from the CSA.  I was willed a HALF SHARE.  Imagine the above cut in half (and missing the broccoli, since that was for full share folks only this week).  And FYI, I'm not belittling the size of my share - it was very generous and definitely plenty to eat before it would end up going bad anyway.

So, what did I do with all this goodness?  Well, here goes!

-  Made a simple romaine salad, which ended up being HUGE

- Threw the fresh basil in pasta

- Sautéed collard greens and purple scallions with garlic, salt, pepper and oil - and then added to scrambled eggs

- Roasted the kohlrabi, radishes, summer & pattypan squash - which was tossed in fresh sage and other herbs with olive oil - and topped them with garlic sautéed spinach

- Cooked up the bok choy the same way I did last week, since I liked that so well

And that was it!  In pretty much 3 days, everything was gone, shared among 6 adults over the 4th of July holiday weekend. Amazingly, nothing went bad before we could use it, which I was a little worried about - like I said last week, that is why I've never signed up for a CSA before.  But again, I think it really says something about how much my diet has changed over the last 5 years that I could eat all that produce and then some in a week, and have no problem doing it.

I'm already looking forward to week 3, and wonder what I'll get this time!  More to follow...

PS: Read more about the CSA origins at Easy Bean Farm by checking out their website or Facebook page.

2 comments:

  1. It was so great to see you this past weekend! That looks like a FABULOUS CSA share! I recently discovered kohlrabi and LOVE it. Spinach and basil are staples in my vegetable drawer, too. I have the same fear as you regarding whether or not I'd be able to utilize an entire CSA share without any of it going bad, so it's great to hear that you were able to use it all up so easily! YAY for your healthy diet changes over the last 5 years!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Next time we meet in... Minnesota?!

      The CSA share was fantastic. You should do one!! Do they have anything like that available in the Chicago area?

      Delete