Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Recipe: Delicious Soup - Easy Carrot Soup

As I mentioned in my previous post, I've taken in an exchange student through the end of the school year 2020.  She is scheduled to be with us through mid June.

Her mild food allergies have inspired me to get back on track and cooking using fresh ingredients.  It's also has challenged me to find new recipes that meet both her needs and my family's pallet.

The below is one of many new discoveries I will post during her stay in my home.  It, in particular, was inspired by some of the things I purchased specifically to keep my pantry stocked during stay home orders ... and to cover for a mistake where I somehow kept buying bags of baby carrots every week and suddenly discovered I had 4 or 5 different bags in my fridge. 





Enjoy!


-----


Easy Carrot Soup







Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1-2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon ground sage
  • 5 cups chopped carrots (or one large bag baby carrots, in my case)
  • 2 cups water
  • 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • ½ cup half-and-half (optional - we used non dairy)
  • Kosher Salt to taste
  • Freshly ground pepper to taste

Directions

Saute butter, oil, onion and celery in dutch oven until vegetables are softened / around 5 minutes.  Stir in garlic, herbs, and salt and pepper, cooking until fragrant / about 1 minute.

Add in carrots, water and chicken stock.  Bring to a "lively" simmer over high heat.  Reduce heat but maintain the "lively" simmer for 25-30 minutes.  Carrots should be cooked through and very tender.

Remove pot from heat.  Use an immersion blender to cream the soup.  Stir in cream with a spoon, then blend a second time to incorporate, at the same time ensuring you've blended any stray chunks.  Adjust salt and pepper to taste prior to serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment