Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Flying Vacation 2017 - Overview

Well, well.  It appears that I haven't forgotten about this blog, eh?

Eh?  EH?  That's a little something I picked up in Canada.  You like it, eh?  (More on this later).

So here's the scoop.  The last month or two I've been doing a whole lotta not working out, which means I've been doing a whole lotta nothing worth blogging about.  But since I occasionally use this blog to recap my non-fitness adventures, and since I have nothing else to talk about these days, I thought I might instead post a recap about my most recent summer vacation.  I'm going to call it Flying Vacation 2017.  For obvious reasons:




To back up for a minute - you may recall that my husband has his private pilot's license and we own an (older) Cessna.  That Cessna would be a small four seater plane that we affectionately call Bubba, due to his previous residence in Houston, TX prior to our ownership. 

Yep.  Bubba is a small plane that looks like this:




I know, I know - it's pretty small.  Some people get weirded out by small planes, but honestly, it's not a big deal.

Anyway, ever since Bubba joined our family, my husband has been reading other flight blogs about guys who fly their families around on adventurous vacations. 

And let me tell you ... he has been inspired, ya'll.

I guess that's why I could so easily sell him on doing the South Dakota Volksmarch last October, huh?  I mean, why else would he agree to a 10K hike through the woods for no reason?

So a couple of months ago, we decided to go for it and both submitted time off requests at work (plus a week off at daycare for my little boy), and started "planning".  We didn't have a real exact plan of what we wanted to do on this trip, but our general inspiration was to get to Niagara Falls, since neither of us have been there. 

I say "planning" because small plane flying makes you fair weather reliant.  Therefore, we didn't really start planning any major details of the trip until almost the week prior, when we had a general feel for how weather might shake out.  Eeek - for those of you who know me and my planner nature, this was a little bit scary for me.  And even scarier because neither my husband nor I thought about it being peak tourist season for outdoor/summer vacations.

Oops.  Finding hotel options ... and affordable ones at that, was ... interesting, to say the least. 

Given our last minute situation, and knowing we just had to roll with it, our net result was as follows:




For those of you who aren't cartographers, and for anyone who might want to know our general schedule, the above map lays out as:

Friday, August 4th - Depart Flying Cloud Airport, Eden Prairie MN
                                 Arrive Delta County Airport, Escanaba MI
                                 Flight time - about 2 hours 30 minutes
                                 Hotel for 1 night, Quality Inn on Lincoln Road

Saturday, August 5th - Depart Delta County Airport, Escanaba MI
                                     Arrive Mackinac Island Airport, Mackinac Island MI
                                     Flight time - about 30 minutes

                                     ** Read about August 4-5th here **


Saturday, August 5th - Depart Mackinac Island Airport, Mackinac Island MI
                                     Arrive John C. Murno Airport, Hamilton ON Canada
                                     Flight time - about 2 hours
                                     Hotel for 2 nights, Hampton Inn Brantford
                                     Rental car secured for ease of local transport

Tuesday, August 8th - Depart John C. Murno Airport, Hamilton ON Canada
                                    Waypoint for air navigation purposes Erie PA
                                    Arrive Dayton International Airport, Dayton OH
                                    Flight time - about 2 hours 15 minutes
                                    Hotel for 2 nights, Hampton Inn Vandalia
                                    Rental car secured for ease of local transport

Thursday, August 10th - Depart Dayton International Airport, Dayton OH
                                        Arrive Dane County Airport, Madison WI
                                        Flight time - about 2 hours 15 minutes
                                        Hotel for 2 nights, Hampton Inn off State Street

Saturday, August 12th - Depart Dane County Airport, Madison WI
                                       Arrive Flying Cloud Airport, Eden Prairie MN
                                       Flight time - about 2 hours

So there you have it - a general over view of our trip.  Stay tuned in the next few days for detailed recaps of each stop, and of course, plenty of photos and good stories too.

No comments:

Post a Comment