Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Recipe: Delicious Soup - Simple Tomato Soup from Scratch

Over the Christmas holiday, finding myself short on groceries and having unexpected company en route for lunch, I was in a bind.  Looking in the pantry, the only thing I had in large enough bulk to make a sizable meal for 4 adults was canned tomatoes.

D'oh!

But - ah ha!  It's lunch.  I don't need a huge meal, right?  So I got the idea to try tomato soup from scratch and serve it with a side of bread and various raw veggies. 

I'm glad I punted, because I was pleased with the result.

The below is a merger of a few different recipes I found online.  Enjoy!


-----


Simple Tomato Soup from Scratch
 

 
 
 
 
 

Ingredients

  • 1 quart jar of tomatoes with juice (roughly 4 cups canned, feel free to use store purchased)
  • 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1 small/medium onion, diced
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tbsp. tomato paste (approximate)
  • Butter or oil for sautéing
  • Salt and pepper to taste
 
 
Directions


1. Sautee diced onions in butter or oil until translucent.  Add tomatoes, chicken stock, and thyme.  Bring to low simmer for 5-10 minutes.

2. Using an immersion blender, blend simmering mixture into a smooth, liquid soup.  Add tomato paste as needed to enhance color of soup (some home canned tomatoes are less red than others, so the tomato paste helps enrich the look of the soup).  Continue simmering for another 5-10 minutes.

3. Taste soup.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Allow to simmer on low until you are ready to serve, or at least 30 minutes in total.

4. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Also freezes well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment