Thursday, September 20, 2018

Talk Like a Pirate Day 2018

You may recall in 2017, I expanded my blog to include such non fitness/health related topics as the "being an extra mom" category.  In fact, I think the first ever #BeingExtra post was regarding Talk Like a Pirate Day 2017!

Looks like I forgot to include a picture last year, but here's our first ever #PirateTwinning:




Heh. He was so cute and little last year!!  Where does time go?!?!

For those of you unaware, Talk Like a Pirate Day is one of those "holidays" that's just meant for fun and silliness.  Officially, there's not a lot of history behind it aside from it started as a private joke between two guy friends - and then it accidentally blew up on social media.

In the past few years, for me, Talk Like a Pirate Day has meant sending a friend of mine in Texas random gifts (when the mood strikes me anyway, it's not like I do it on a yearly / consistent basis).  Historically, those gifts have included: having a bouquet I made out of black artificial silk roses and plastic gold doubloons arranged in a plastic skull trick-or-treat bucket couriered to my friend at work, sending a smiley face balloon bouquet with pirate eye patches drawn on them, and ... last year's piece de resistance - ordering a pirate battle royale pool set via Amazon Prime:



 



I know.  An impressive find even for a spaz like myself.  LOL!

High on ridiculousness, I decided last year that I needed to share the pirate love at my son's "school" (daycare) as well.  And so the tradition began.


---


For 2018, I had started my preparations way back in January.  And no, it's not because I'm some sort of holiday nut ball.  I simply came across a happy accident and decided to make the most of it.  Turns out JC Penny tried to sell a winter ski cap that was none too popular, and I stumbled across it with my $10 off $10 or more coupons ... right when JC Penny was having their 50% off all winter clearance event.




When all was said and done, I bought 15 black ski caps with pom-poms on top and a white skull and crossbones on the forehead ... originally value priced at $5 each, marked down to $3 each ... for $1.50 each, minus $10 x 2 coupons (I figured out how to split the purchase and maximize my discounts LOL!)  Reliving the find with my husband the other night, as he shook his head and laughed at the ridiculous that this holiday has become for me, I said "I think I spent something like $3 total on all these hats!!"

Natalie Unicorn - professional bargain shopper, at your service!  Hit me up if you need assistance.  (I'm sure my husband will be happy I'm spending your money and not mine.)

So yes, last week I was unpacking all the pirate crap booty from storage, counting that I still had all the ski hats intact after the move and so forth.  And also doing my best Bob Ross impression while painting some treasure boxes from Michael's Arts & Crafts black:




I even lined the treasure boxes with red felt.  Because I'm just extra like that.  I mean, you can't give your son's "teachers" an UNLINED box of pirate jewels, am I rite?!?!?!





Thanks to Amazon for all the above charms, btw.  Gotta love the Chinese vendors who will ship you 10 charms for $1.  (Again, Natalie Unicorn ... professional shopper ... hit me up!)  Hopefully the charms don't turn the daycare staff's arms green.  Though I suppose they can't complain about a free nonsensical gift.

Beyond the hats for the kids, and the treasure boxes for the teachers, this year I decided to add in a coloring sheet and a story book so that the staff could make a day of it (if they so chose).  Modifying a gif I found online, I printed off a stack of these bad boys:




And I sent my son's copy of this book to school as well (though I have to admit, the book was much wordier than I anticipated, and I'm not 100% sure it was workable for the toddlers to read):




Not to be forgotten, on Pirate Day proper my son and I wardrobed up.  Because you know me and costuming.  Lucky for me, last year I ordered oversized, so this outfit eeked out one last wear for my growing boy ... who is definitely in his terrible twos, as you can see:





I guess next year, I'll have to spring for a new littles costume.  Can't you tell I'm so disappointed?  Heh.

And there you have it, mateys!  Talk Like a Pirate Day, 2018.  Booty and adventure!

Until next year!  Arrgggg!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment