Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Long Lost Blogger

I guess I need to revive this blog from the dead, it's been so long.




Hm.  Since Michael could get Zombies to essentially line dance, I wonder if I could get Zombies to follow one of my workout routines.  Food for thought. 

As long as I don't become the "food".  Heh.

Anyway!  As I mentioned in my last post, way back in June (YIKES!), my husband and I somewhat impulsively put our house on the market after my New Orleans birthday trip in April.  In what boiled down to a maybe 6-8 week window, we:

- removed about 50% of our possessions out of our home and into temporary storage
- had the entire house interior repainted
- had the entire carpeted surface of the house replaced
- repaired about 5 years of random "to-dos" in less than a week
- put our house on the market
- showed our house
- went through the entire selling negotiations process, including inspection and mitigation
- moved out
- moved into temporary housing

Phew!  And yes, I said in a 6-8 week window we did all of that.  If you've ever sold a house before, you know how crazy tight that schedule is.  But, with the market on fire for our price point of home, it was basically a "strike when the iron is hot" kind of scenario.  So we wanted to go as fast as we could to chase the market, despite the whirlwind.




Plus, in addition to that crazy busy timeline above, we were also in the process of house hunting for our upgrade.  So once we knew the sale was finalized for our Carver home, we started power shopping for our new place on lunch hours, evenings after work, and weekends.

Not long after securing our offer on our Carver home, we thought we had found the perfect place in Eden Prairie ... and even put in an offer.  Alas, after spending over a week negotiating with those sellers (without them hardly budging an inch), we realized it was time to cut and run. 

Blech.  Starting over on the hunt when we knew we were about to be homeless was NOT fun.

Thankfully, the market we were looking at buying into had lots of options, and in addition - that market was a little soft.  Not soon after walking away from our first offer, we found our current home.




Quite honestly, I'm glad for losing the first house.  Looking back now, we both realized it was inferior to where we ended up.  As they say "everything happens for a reason".

Despite being ready to settle into a new home immediately, things didn't go as quickly as my husband and I would have hoped for - especially since we saw how quickly things COULD go if you really wanted them to in selling our Carver home.  But slowly, surely, after about a two month stint in temporary housing, we finally got into our new place.

So here I am.  I've been officially living in my new home for almost two weeks.  Yes, I am still unpacking.  No, I'm not box free ... yet, though I'm close. 

And thanks to a handful of local service companies, we were able to do a lot of internal updates to the house in a short time frame (prior to moving in), like this:





Goodbye, butter yellow.  Hello modern life.  (If you need a painter for a big interior project, call these guys).

Our last few major move-in projects include washing the final bit of clothing from storage, hanging curtains inside the house, and organizing my husband's shop tools and supplies.  Of course, this is not to leave out our longer term projects such as front entry sidewalk replacement, MAJOR yard work/trimming, deck restaining or possible total replacement, and more.  But that's all ongoing home ownership stuff - at least by then we'll be comfortably living in the new home.

And now, after all the craziness ... I hope I can resume this blog on a somewhat more regular interval.  Thanks for hanging in there during the transition, and glad to have you back!!


No comments:

Post a Comment