Thursday, September 13, 2018

Me Being a Mom: Portion Sizes for Kids

A few weeks back, I came across this article about portion sizes for kids.  Now that I'm living the mom life, of course I was interested, so I clicked.

Nutshell summary?  I was really surprised by how much the article focused on keeping food familiar for your kids, and negotiating to get them to eat fruits and vegetables.

I mean, I'm not trying to brag, but I basically served my son everything I ate as soon as I knew he could handle all the foods (man, I'm glad to be done with the pureed single ingredient phase).  And he just ... ate it.

Honestly, I did this for two reasons.  Yes, A, because it didn't make sense to me to teach my son to develop a different pallet from me.  But B, why make life more difficult for yourself by making two meals every time your child needs to eat?!

And I'm not to say there aren't times where he declines things - let's face it, he's in his terrible twos now, so that definitely happens.  But honest to god, your kid doesn't know what's "familiar" (as the article likes to call it).  Everything is new ... that's why they call them newborns.  So why shelter them and encourage them to adapt to a lifetime of chicken nuggets and mac & cheese?

Soapbox aside, I couldn't help but snicker about the recommended serving sizes of foods, and the plant ratios suggested.  I guess your perspective is skewed when you have a two year old that is in 5T clothing.  #eatingmachine




True story side note: in our new house, because of the sheer volume of food I go through with my monster eating toddler in the mix, I added a combined fruit basket/banana hook produce keeper to the kitchen (in addition to the previous basket I had, which is now just for shelf stable vegetables).  During move in, this basket was solely been filled with apples and bananas.  Not knowing I was listening, my son stood admiring the basket last week, talking to himself:

"Apples"
"Bananas"
"Apples"
"Bananas"
-brief pause, and then switching to a monster voice-
"I EAT THEM ALL!!!!"

Kids.  An endless source of entertainment.

In case the link above ever dies, below is a condensed version of suggested serving sizes.  I took out the fluff so you could just focus on the proper portion sizes.  Enjoy!

---

Toddlers & Preschoolers (2 to 4 years)

Appetites at this state can greatly vary based on height and activity level and will likely change from day-to-day or even meal-to-meal. 
For Reference:Protein: 4 thin slices of ham or 1 egg, at 2-3 servings per day
Dairy: 1/2 cup cow’s milk or 1/2 cup yogurt, at 3 servings per day
Veggies: 2 tbsp. of green beans, 4 broccoli florets or 8 celery sticks (small), at 2 servings each meal
Fruits: Half a medium banana or half a kiwi, at 1-2 servings per day (this can be subbed out for veggies only)
Grains: 4 potato wedges or 4 tbsp. of mashed potatoes, at 1 serving per day

Early Childhood (5 to 8 years)

The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests upgrading to full portions of fruits and veggies at this age, such as a whole banana, apple and handful of grapes. For proteins, fill a quarter of the plate with beans, legumes or a lean meat. Avoid foods high in sugar, especially sodas. Water is encouraged at the dinner table!
For Reference:Protein: 2-3 ounces of meat or 1/2 cup cooked beans, at 2 servings per day
Dairy: 1 cup yogurt or 1 oz. cheese, at 3 servings per day
Veggies: 1 cup salad or 1/2 cup cooked carrots or broccoli, at 3 servings per day
Fruits: 1 medium banana or 1/2 cup pure fruit juice, at 2-3 servings per day (this can be subbed out for veggies only)
Grains: 1/2 cup cooked pasta or 1 slice whole-wheat toast, at 1 serving per day

Preteen (9 to 12 years)

Portion sizes can slowly increase to where most adults should be—about 2 1/2 cups of dairy, 3 cups of veggies and 5 ounces of protein.  This is also a really good time to ask your child to cook a meal for the family every once in awhile so the option is in their hands. They might even develop a lifelong passion for cooking!
For Reference:Protein: 5 ounces of meat, at 2 servings per day
Dairy: 2 cups yogurt or 1 oz. cheese, at 3 servings per day
Veggies: 2 cups salad or 1 cup cooked carrots or broccoli, at 3 servings per day
Fruits: 1 medium banana, at 2-3 servings per day (this can be subbed out for veggies only)
Grains: 1 mini bagel or 1/2 cup cooked pasta, at 1 serving per day

Teenagers (13 to 18 years)

Portions can be adult-sized by this point, but education on appropriate portion sizes should be a priority. Relate portions to everyday items (a deck of cards is a serving of protein) for ease–chances are, measuring spoons are nowhere to be found in the school cafeteria. Also, be cognizant of commenting on eating habits during this stage. Empower your children to make good choices, but don’t criticize or shame them for any unhealthy choices they do make.
For Reference:Protein: 8 ounces of meat, at 2 servings per day
Dairy: 2 cups yogurt or 1 oz. cheese, at 3 servings per day
Veggies: 3 cups salad or 1 cup cooked carrots or broccoli, at 3 servings per day
Fruits: 1/4 melon, at 2-3 servings per day (this can be subbed out for veggies only)
Grains: 2 slices of bread or 1 cup cooked pasta, at 1 serving per day



No comments:

Post a Comment