Thursday, April 23, 2020

Recipe: Delicious Soup - Split Pea in a Slow Cooker

As I mentioned in my previous post, I've taken in an exchange student through the end of the school year 2020.  She is scheduled to be with us through mid June.

Her mild food allergies have inspired me to get back on track and cooking using fresh ingredients.  It's also has challenged me to find new recipes that meet both her needs and my family's pallet.

The below is one of many new discoveries I will post during her stay in my home.  It, in particular, was inspired by some of the things I purchased specifically to keep my pantry stocked during stay home orders.

And ... with nothing to do with our free time outside of the home ... it paired well with our fresh, homemade sourdough bread.

Enjoy!


-----


Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup








Ingredients
  • 1 one pound bag of dried split peas 
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, cleaned and chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 springs thyme (I used dried, as I had it on hand)
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 6 cups broth, low sodium chicken or vegetable
  • Kosher salt
  • Fresh ground pepper
  • Optional: small ham steak (approximately 6" round size), or slow cook with ham bone in soup

Directions

In a slow cooker combine split peas, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Pour broth over mixture, season with salt and pepper. (If you are using a ham bone, you would add it now - remove it prior to blending and shred, then reincorporate it like I mention below for the ham steak).

Cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or low for 6 to 8, until peas are completely soft.

About 30 minutes from serving, use immersion blender to incorporate vegetables fully into soup.  (I prefer a slightly lumpier texture, so I did not blend until fully smoothed.)  After done blending, finely dice warmed ham steak and stir in.  Allow soup to slow cook for another 30 minutes or until ready to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment