Thursday, April 9, 2020

Recipe: Delicious Dinner - Buttered Chicken

Yikes.

In preparing this post, I realized that I haven't published a new recipe idea in over a year.  Which only serves to highlight how poorly I've been managing my diet since I had a baby.




Well, bygones are bygones.  I can't change the past at this point, so I'm not going to dwell on it.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I've taken in an exchange student through the end of the school year 2020.  Which ... now with everything going on, that statement has a very unsure meaning.  I guess I should clarify that she is scheduled to be with us through mid June.

Anyway - our exchange student has some mild food allergies which has inspired me to get back on track and cooking using fresh ingredients.  It's also has challenged me to find new recipes that meet both her needs and my family's pallet.

The below is one of many new discoveries I will post during her stay in my home.

Enjoy!


-----


Buttered Chicken








Ingredients
  • 1 medium-large onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 one inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
  • 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon garam masala, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon and 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric, divided
  • 3/4 teaspoon and 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
  • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • Kosher salt
  • Fresh ground pepper
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 cinnamon stick (I substituted about 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon)
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste (I wanted extra sauce to cover vegetables, so I used an entire small can)
  • 1 (16 oz.) can tomato sauce (I wanted extra sauce to cover vegetables, so I used an entire 28 oz. can of whole plum tomatoes, blended in a blender with the tomato paste)
  • 1 1/4 cups water (I skipped this due to the extra tomato)
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream (I substituted in So Delicious non dairy creamer)
  • 1 table spoon lemon juice
  • chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
  • serve with basmati rice (or in my case, quiona) and naan bread
  • OPTIONAL: since I always want more vegetables in my dishes, I opted to add in a small bag of frozen cut green beans, and also a drained and rinsed can of chickpeas 

Directions

In a small bowl: combine 1 tablespoon garam masala, 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric, 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin.  (If you are using the ground cinnamon, you can also add it here.  If you are using the extra tomato sauce like I did, pump up your seasonings just a bit.)  Set aside.

In a large bowl: combine 1 teaspoon garam masala, 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric, and 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin in a large bowl. Cut 2 pounds chicken into 1-inch pieces, add to the the large bowl, season with kosher salt and black pepper, and toss to evenly coat.

Melt 4 tablespoons unsalted butter in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides, about 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate; it might not be cooked through.

Add the onion mixture to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the spices from the small bowl, cinnamon stick, and 1 tablespoon tomato paste, and cook 1 minute more.

Add the can of tomato sauce, 1 1/4 cups water, and the chicken and any accumulated juices, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the sauce slightly thickens and the chicken is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.

(Since I had the tomato and paste in the blender, I just poured that all in at once instead of putting the tomato paste in with the cooking onions.  I also added in my extra vegetables at this point.  Since my pot was considerably more full, I let this simmer closer to 20 minutes ... partly because I had the quinoa cooking at the same time, and was waiting on it to finish).

Add 1/2 cup heavy cream, 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice to the chicken, and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt as needed. Garnish with the cilantro and serve over basmati rice or with naan.

No comments:

Post a Comment