Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Recipe: Delicious Dinner - One Pan Mexican Quinoa

As I mentioned in my previous post, I've taken in an exchange student through the end of the school year 2020.  She is scheduled to be with us through mid June.

Her mild food allergies have inspired me to get back on track and cooking using fresh ingredients.  It's also has challenged me to find new recipes that meet both her needs and my family's pallet.

The below is one of many new discoveries I will post during her stay in my home.

Enjoy!


-----


One Pan Mexican Quinoa








Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 jalapeno, minced
  • 1 cup quinoa (I increase this to 1.5 cups to have a little extra)
  • 1 cup vegetable broth (also increase this 1/2 cup if you increase quinoa)
  • 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (14.5 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes (I used a larger can with the increased quinoa)
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels (these can be microwaved separately and added at time of serving if you have food allergies)
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
  • OPTIONAL: you can top with a little shredded cheese, sour cream, or your favorite salsas.  I'd also think you could easily add in your favorite cooked meat at the end, though I haven't done this yet ... maybe chorizo would add some interesting flavor?  And of course, because I'm always thinking to add more vegetables, I'm debating adding chopped bell pepper in with the onions while they cook ... decisions, decisions!

Directions

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno.  Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion starts to sweat, about 2-3 minutes.

Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, corn (or save corn to the end if you have food allergies), chili powder and cumin; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes. (If you increase quinoa and tomatoes, you may need to increase your seasoning as well).

Stir in lime juice (and any fully cooked meats, if you choose to add them).

Serve individual portion with avocado, cilantro, and any other toppings as you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment