Thursday, September 19, 2019

Talk Like a Pirate Day 2019

You may recall in 2017, I expanded this blog to include such topics as the "being an extra mom" category.  In fact, I think the first ever #BeingExtra post was regarding Talk Like a Pirate Day 2017!  (Though, not to be forgotten, Talk Like a Pirate Day 2018 is still up for those who missed it).

Here's our first ever #PirateTwinning from 2017:




Heh. He was so cute and little that year!!  Where does time go?!?!

For those of you unaware, Talk Like a Pirate Day is one of those "holidays" that's just meant for fun and silliness.  Officially, there's not a lot of history behind it aside from it started as a private joke between two guy friends - and then it accidentally blew up on social media.

In past years, for me, Talk Like a Pirate Day has meant sending a friend of mine in Texas random gifts (when the mood strikes me anyway, it's not like I do it on a yearly / consistent basis).  Historically, those gifts have included: having a bouquet I made out of black artificial silk roses and plastic gold doubloons arranged in a plastic skull trick-or-treat bucket couriered to their work, sending a smiley face balloon bouquet with pirate eye patches drawn on them, and ... a few year's ago piece de resistance - ordering a pirate battle royale pool set via Amazon Prime:



 



I know.  An impressive find even for a spaz like myself.  LOL!

High on ridiculousness, in 2017 I decided that I needed to share the pirate love at my son's "school" (daycare) as well.  And so the tradition began.


---


For 2019, I started out Pirate's Day early with home decor.

This was somewhat spurred by my son continually asking me "is it Halloween time yet?", but also inspired by a scene in one if his favorite books, "The Pirates Next Door", where the main character has pirate flags all over their room.




On the Sunday afternoon prior to Pirate's Day, I found myself in my son's room screwing mini hooks into the ceiling and draping jolly roger bunting.




With my house decor up, the following day I stopped at Home Goods to admire their seasonal decor.  Much to my delight, while browsing I found a great set of pirate looking towels.  Since I typically do a small gift for my son on Pirate Day, and he's been asking for Halloween towels for "his bathroom", I couldn't resist.




Ok, yes - it's weird that my 3 year old son wants hand towels.  I fully accept that.  LOL!

Anyway, with things at home pretty much settled (decor - check, son's gift - check, hand me down pirate shirt from my nephew that now fits my son - check), the last thing I needed to manage was packing up teacher's gifts and organizing the classroom loot.

Kids are easy, so that didn't take long - a stop at Oriental Trading, and a shared book from my son's personal library had us covered there ... as well as a recycled coloring sheet idea from 2018:







The teacher's gift was a little more tricky.  I had originally started down an entirely different path, and somehow accidentally discovered these pearl kits on Amazon.  When I saw them, I totally changed directions:




Of course, I didn't love that kit by itself - not exactly pirate, you know?!  But since it was the cheapest version I could find by over 50%, I decide to supplement the kit to my own liking:





You'll notice I added a second pirate necklace in there and an second vacuum sealed oyster.

To explain the vacuum sealed oyster: the skull charm came in sets of 10.  Since I was already committed to 10, and since there's an extended staff at my son's daycare who work with my son on occasion, I decided to buy a few "spare" oysters and some gift bags to share the booty with the entire staff group.

I mean ... the oysters themselves are relatively inexpensive, so why not?

The teachers who aren't his primary got a mini version of the above box:




All wrapped up, the mini version looked like this:




And the boxed version looked like this:




Since today is Pirate Day proper - as we speak ... or as I blog, I suppose ... the above gifts are being distributed to the staff and students.  I can only imagine the ahoys and shiver me timbers that are surely being exclaimed.  LOL!  Which is why, of course, I do this.  For the fun of knowing someone else is having fun!

And there you have it, mateys! Talk Like a Pirate Day, 2019. Booty and adventure!

Until next year! Arrgggg!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment