Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Colorado 2019 - Kid Friendly Summer Vacation - Intro

On somewhat of a whim, a few weeks back we took a one week getaway to Colorado. 



C is for ... Colorado!
If you know my last name, you know why we did this.


Ok - to be fair, it was ... well ... maybe more of a 50/50 whim, since historically we tend to take a vacation around my husband's birthday each year.  In fact, you may recall some of these trips from previous recaps like our 2017 Flying Vacation and our 2015 trip to see the Chicago Air Show.  (The years 2018 and 2016 being excluded from our trip "historics", with the purchase of the new house in 2018 and the birth of my son in 2016.) 

Anyway - this year, after having no major family summer vacations in some time, my husband and I started brainstorming random ideas. 

Surprisingly, selecting a destination was a little tricky.  Our plane Bubba is down for a total engine refurbishment, which takes 2-3 months to complete.  And a three year old isn't exactly a great road trip companion.  Well, let's be real: a three year old isn't exactly a great travel companion, period.  Taking these factors into consideration, we weren't sure what to do.

With my husband's Delta buy-one-get-one bonus in hand (I think it's a benefit of a Delta credit card or something, I don't remember what he told me), we started debating cheap AND short flights to areas of possible interest.  Weighing a few ticket prices against the cost of lodging upon arrival, and activities available once there, we eventually settled on flying into Denver. 

Honestly, it was kind of a straw pull that we ended up in Colorado, with the cost of visiting tipping it in Denver's favor.  But either way, a week or two after booking tickets, I found myself waking up at 3:45 to catch a 4:30 taxi to the airport ... for a 7:00 flight.  Yes - those are AM times.  BLECH!

After arrival, we spent a week floating around areas south of Denver, and we had lots of fun outdoors time.

Over the next couple of blog posts, I'll recap my trip.  More to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment