Monday, November 26, 2018

Reddit Secret Santa 2018

Years and years ago, well before running and working out to improve my health ever passed my consciousness and I founded this blog, I used to be a huge user of SWAP-BOT.com.

It's been ages since I've used the site so I have no idea how much has changed, but back when I was still a user, SWAP-BOT was sort of like playing Secret Santa year round.  There were various "swaps" you could sign up for, with various themes, and often times they were centered around making part or all of your sent gift by hand.

More often than not, I would chose to make my gift recipient something on my sewing machine:








Sometimes, depending on the theme of the swap, I would add other little trinkets into the mix as well:






After losing my job during the "Great Recession" (as I guess it's now called, no matter how corny that name is), the cost of postage forced me out of the SWAP-BOT game.  And then after I started working again, with my change in lifestyle in full force, my free spending money ended up going towards my ever growing list of race registrations.

So ended the era of Shinianen on SWAP-BOT.

I think I just heard a sad clown whistle somewhere.  Heh.


---


Anyway, of all things, you'll never guess who spurred me to get back into swapping of sorts ...




It's true.  Thanks for the inspiration, Pee Wee!!

A little back story: some of you may be familiar with Reddit or the Reddit Secret Santa exchange.  If you are (or aren't), the exchange has gained infamy in the last few years thanks to such celebrity participants as Bill Gates, Snoop Dogg, and even Arnold Schwarzenegger (who - true story - drew the recipient a portrait of her cat LOL!!!)

Now I'm NOT expecting to get a celebrity match ... just on odds alone, with over 100,000 people registered at the moment I'm typing this, it's highly unlikely I will be receiving or giving to any known celebrity.  Not to say it couldn't happen, or wouldn't be TOTALLY COOL if I did.

But the realist in me knows I'll likely match to an average person, out to have some fun gifting for someone, just like me.  And that's just what I am looking forward to.  A little anonymous spreading of cheer ... plus a bit of excited anticipation on what I might end up with as well.

So on that note, I will end today's post.  More updates to follow on what I send and receive.  In the meantime, in case my Reddit partner happens across this post, here's a few handy links to learn more about me:

40 Questions 2016
The ABCs of Me
I'm Blowin' Sunshine (about me posts from early 2014): #1, #2, and #3
I'm a BE-liebster (about me posts from late 2014): #1, #2, and #3

No comments:

Post a Comment