Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Reddit Gifts Awesome Packaging 2019

I've already put a few posts up on this blog about Reddit Gifts, so I won't do a re-introduction on what that is.  Instead, I'll open today's blog by saying ... the exchange that most people get excited for on Reddit Gifts is the Christmas/Holiday-centric one that opens in November.

Me on the other hand ... I have spent the last 6 months fan-girling for the Trick-or-Treat exchange.  




Well, until my partner for that one specifically asked for a charitable donation.  And only a charitable donation.  

Whomp-whomp.




Lucky for me, I was overly tempted this round and actually singed up for two exchanges - something I never do.  But with an exchange open where awesome packaging was the end goal, and everything else was open to interpretation ... how could I not?!  I mean, that's the most creative I can be in all the exchanges!!!

So with my Halloween exchange thwarted, I decided to add a Halloween twist to my awesome packaging gift instead.  Being that my partner said they liked "hometown" type gifts, and I love Halloween sooooo much ... I mean, sending a Halloween themed gift is kind of like coming to my house for Halloween, right?!

With my "theme" of sorts planned out, my goal in mind was now: create a package that makes you feel like you're at my house for Halloween.





---


First off, the main gift box.  

For my "real job", I work as a buyer.  Which means at the holidays, I'm inundated with various sugary treats.  So great for someone trying to manage their weight ... so great.  (D'oh!)

Anyway, a few years back I received some cookies in a wooden presentation box.  Actually, two years in a row I got cookies this way.  




It's a little hard to tell in this photo, but the box is essentially two pieces:  
     (1) a flat piece of wood that serves as a lid
     (2) a box base with an extended "lip" on two sides, which has a channel cut into it 
To close the box, you feed the lid into the channels of the box and gently slide it shut.

The above shows various box sizes, but the boxes I have are a bit smaller than a shoe box.  

These boxes were too cool, and I could never quite bear to throw them out.  Solid wood, with a sliding top panel?  How can you put that in the trash?!

So ... back on topic.  After simmering for awhile about what would equal "awesome packaging", I decided to repurpose one of these boxes.  A little acrylic paint, some Martha Steward stencils, and some orange raffia later ... viola!






Of course, I forgot to take photos of the box until I had already loaded it with goodies and tied a bow on it.  Dang it.  At least you get the concept.

Since one of my gifts to include in the package was too large for the wooden box, I wrapped it in a second side package.  And being that another add in - a sequin pumpkin - was cute even without packaging ... I left that one "naked".  The final gift collection looked something like this.




Not shown, an orange envelope which included a letter explaining why I selected the gifts.  Since you won't get to see that letter, the general gist is:

(1) I included a skull cross stitch made by me, with a sequined pumpkin to complement it
(2) Two squishy mystery toys (the item I'm actually handing out to trick-or-treaters that ring my bell), and some Halloween crackers for her kids
(3) Pearson's candy (the receiver specifically mentioned they like local treats), with napkins
(4) Halloween "Christmas" ornaments (the receiver specifically mentioned they like ornaments)

And since you now know the contents, may as well show you the end result!




So now I wait ... will I get something awesomely wrapped as well?  Time will tell!  (I'll be sure to update if I do).

Happy Halloween everyone!  

No comments:

Post a Comment