Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Recipe: Delicious Lunch - Sweet Potatoes & Greens

I had a really good lunch the other day, so I thought I might share it.


Sweet Potato & Mixed Green Salad
with blue cheese and walnuts
served with honey vinaigrette dressing


Sounds swanky right?  So... maybe I shouldn't admit it came into being because I had some sweet potatoes and blue cheese at home that were heading south and needed to be used up ASAP? 

Really, this should be called: "quick, Natalie, eat this stuff up before it starts to get moldy" salad.

Whatever.  Either way, it was delicious.  And look at how pretty it was - so perfect for fall:




Just ignore the fact that it's in an ugly plastic bowl - I brought this to work with me so I couldn't plate it and make it look extra pretty.

And in case you're wondering, I tossed the potato lightly in olive oil, sea salt and chili powder to give them a little extra kick.  Then, baked them until fork tender, and chilled them overnight in the fridge.  Yum!

The best part about this salad?  It's more than 100% of your daily Vitamin A, half of your daily Vitamin C, and 25% of your daily required Iron and Calcium. 

Well, that and ... it's way tastier than a lunch out at Wendy's or Subway.  That's a pretty big bonus, too.

Fair warning before you look through the below: be careful with your portions of dressing, cheese and nuts - those can easily double or triple your calories and fat if you don't portion them correctly.  That being said, see below for what MyFitnessPal estimated for nutritional values based on ingredients used.

Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment